Time to reflect on my year-end total mileage and key milestones for 2009 (thanks to Garmin Connect which lets me track all of this). It has been an incredible year for my cycling! Here are some mileage totals and some key events that made 2009 an amazing journey on two wheels.
- Commuting: 2,118 (biking to work)
- Training: 612 (preparing for an event)
- Fitness: 158 (general fitness rides)
- Recreation: 199 (easy rides with family)
- Events: 96 (organized rides, special events)
- Touring: 163 (overnight touring trips)
- TOTAL: 3349
Another way to look at this mileage is I spent 287 hours on the bicycle, climbed 137,400 feet and burned about 180,000 calories. It was the most mileage I’ve ever done in one year.
This was not a surprise since this was my first full year of using my bike to commute to/from work 2-3 days a week.
2009 was a first for this and for completing my first two bicycle tours – one to Fredericksburg, TX and another to Wimberley, TX (a full write-up of that adventure is coming soon).
Other highlights included:
- A VIP ride with San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro.
- The Conquer The Coast Ride
- Completing the League of American Bicyclist’s Traffic Skills 101 course
- Riding the Lance Armstrong Bikeway
A huge thanks to my family and friends for all their support and a thanks to God for his many blessings, keeping me in good health, etc.
May 2010 be a great year for you and may it see you in good health, with the love of family and friends. If you haven’t been on a bicycle in a long time, think about doing a little adventuring of your own on two wheels!