I was born a bicycle commuter in June 2008 when gas prices flirted with $4 a gallon.
Nearly 6,000 miles later, I’m still trying to make the 21 mile roundtrip bicycle commute at least twice a week. What has held my interest in bicycle commuting over the past three years? Time for a Top 10 list!
- The “never stops amazing me” efficiency of getting a workout and getting to work in one activity
- The money savings (currently about $6 saved for each commute)
- The 500-700 calories burned for each roundtrip commute
- The continued fascination of using a bicycle as transportation
- The experience of soaking up the sounds and smells of the world around me on the bicycle
- The health benefits and elevated mood provided by nearly two hours of cardiovascular exercise for each commute
- The quality of sleep on bicycle commute days and the amazing ability to fall asleep in seconds once head hits pillow
- The interaction with people I meet along the route – joggers, walkers, the old, the young
- Introducing bicycle commuting to a cyclist and joining them on their first, usually awe-inspiring ride to work
- The example I’m providing my daughter that human-powered transportation is viable and fun
What are your top 3, top 5 or top 10 things you love about bicycle commuting?