In 2011, riding my bicycle to/from work helped me avoid purchasing 100 gallons of gasoline which put just over $300 back in my pocket. Thank you, bicycle!
Thanks to Garmin Connect it’s easy to look back and analyze my 2011 bicycle mileage:
- Transportation: 1,190 miles (commuting, errands)
- Training: 607 miles (prep for cycling events like Tour de Cure)
- Fitness: 240 miles (usually solo rides about an hour in length)
- Touring: 225 miles (overnight tours to Comfort, Blanco, etc.)
- Recreation: 29 miles (easy rides with family)
- Events: 225 miles (Tour de Cure, Hammerfest, Rock ‘n Roll Bike Tour)
Total Mileage: 2,516 miles
Highlights of 2011 include:
- A full year of commuting on my Trek Soho bicycle purchased December 2010
- I purchased a CoMotion Americano touring bicycle – an American, handmade bicycle I look forward to racking up some serious mileage on
- I co-taught six Traffic Skills 101 bicycle safety classes (that’s about 54 hours of teaching people how to be safe on their bikes!)
- I presented my first of hopefully many FREE bicycle safety presentations at San Antonio Public Libraries.
- I completed three overnight bicycle tours to Seguin, Comfort and Blanco, TX
- I participated in three events I’d never done before: Tour de Cure, La Vernia Hammerfest and the San Antonio Rock ‘n Roll Marathon Bike Tour.
Looking back on 2011, I can honestly say it was definitely a “Year of the Bike” for me and 2012 is already lining up to be another banner year!